Washington, D.C., is a town brimming with history and culture and your visit here will provide lasting memories for years to come. Below, you will find a listing of some of the more popular tours and information which will assist you in planning to view these sites in order to make your trip the most enjoyable experience it can be.
The Corcoran Gallery of Art - 17th Street and New York Avenue. Open Tuesday through Sunday from 10:00am to 4:30pm and on Thursday, 10:00am to 9:00pm. Telephone: (202) 447-9709.
Ford's Theatre & Lincoln Museum - 10th Street Between E & F Streets, NW. Building is open every day from 9:00am to 5:00pm with the exception of Christmas. Telephone: (202)426-6924.
The Hall of States Building - 444 North Capitol Street, NW. This building houses 32 state offices. For information call the Council of State Governments at 202-624-5386.
The United States Holocaust Memorial Museum - 100 Raoul Wallenberg Place, SW (old 15th street between Maine Avenue and Independence Avenue). There is an entrance also on 14th street, next to the Bureau of Printing & Engraving. Open 7 days a week from 10:00 am to 5:30pm Closed on Christmas. Permanent exhibition is recommended for ages 11 and up. Daniel's Story is recommended for ages 8 and up. The visit will take from an 1 1/2 to 3 hours. Currently tickets are required. Tickets can be purchased by telephone through Ticketmaster by calling (800) 551-7328. The cost is $3.00/ticket + $1.25/order handling charge. It hoped that this practice can be terminated by the end of the summer. Metro: Smithsonian on the blue or orange lines exit at 12th and Independence Avenue. Telephone: (202) 488-0400.
The National Building Museum - Located: 401 F Street, NW, between 4th and 5th streets. Wheelchair access at 4th and G streets. Museum Hours: Monday - Saturday 10:00am - 4pm,Sunday noon - 4pm. Closed Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's Day. Pension Building hours: Monday through Friday (12:30pm), Saturday and Sunday (12:30pm and 1:30pm). Metro: Judiciary Square - Red line. Telephone: 202/272-2448.
The National Gallery of Art - 6th & Constitution Avenue, NW. Open daily from 10:00am to5:00pm, Sunday noon to 9:00pm. Sunday concerts are held at 7:00pm in the East Garden Court from October through June. Telephone: (202)737-4215.
The National Geographic Society - 17th & M Street, NW. Exhibits of famous scientific expeditions. Telephone: (202)857-7588.
The National Postal Museum - Located: 2 Massachusetts Avenue, NE in the Washington City Post Office Building on Capitol Hill (next to Union Station). Hours: 10:00am to 5:30pm. Closed on Christmas. Free admission. Telephone: general number is 202/357-2700, for hearing impaired call 202/357-1729.
The Phillips Collection - the nation's first museum of modern art with free Sunday concerts. 1600-1612 21st Street, NW. Telephone: 202/387-2151.
The Textile Museum - 11,000 textiles and 1,000 rugs. Located: 2320 S Street, NW. Telephone: 202/667-0441.
The Washington Dolls' House and Toy Museum - antique dolls' houses, dolls, toys and games. 5236 44th Street, NW. telephone: 202/244-0024.
The Smithsonian Institution - For information, Call (202)357-1300
- Anacostia Neighborhood Museum - 2405 Martin Luther King Avenue, SE
- Arts & Industries - 900 Jefferson Drive, SW
- Free Gallery of Art - Jefferson Drive & 12th Street, SW
- Hirshhorn Museum & Sculpture Garden - Independence Avenue and 7th Street, SW
- National Air & Space Building - Independence Avenue & 7th Street, SW
- National Gallery of Art - 4th Street between the Mall and Constitution Avenue, NW
- National Museum of African Art - 950 Independence Avenue, SW
- National Museum of American Art- 8th & G Street, NW
- National Museum of Natural History - 10th Street & Constitution Avenue, NW
- National Portrait Gallery - 8th & F street, NW
- The National Postal Museum - 2 Massachusetts Avenue, NE
- Building on Capitol Hill (next to Union Station).
- Renwick Gallery - Pennsylvania Avenue & 17th Street, NW
- Sackler Gallery - 1050 Independence Avenue, SW Telephone: (202)357-2700
- Smithsonian Institution Building (The Castle Building) - 1000 Jefferson Drive, SW
- Smithsonian Kite Festival - late each March on the Mall. Telephone: (202)357-3244
Hours: The museums are open daily, except Christmas, from 10:00am to 5:30pm (Air & Space10:00am to 7:30pm). Extended Summer hours are determined annually. Metro: Smithsonian.