Commonly Asked Questions

  • I lost my Medicare card. How do I get a new one? 
    • If you lose your card, contact your local Social Security office at 1-800-Medicare or visit the Medicare website immediately to get a new one. 
    • Please protect your Medicare card just as you would a credit card. Your Medicare card in the wrong hands can be used to submit fraudulent claims. 
    • Medicare Web Site 
    • Social Security Administration
  • I recently moved to another state? How do I update my address with Medicare? 
    • To protect you and ensure your receipt of your benefits, please let your Social Security office know that your address has changed. 
    • The number for the Social Security Administration is 1-800-772-1213. 
  • Although I am able to walk, I have a difficult time walking long distances. Would Medicare allow payment for a wheelchair or Power Operated Vehicle (POV)? 
    • Medicare wheelchair and POV coverage guidelines indicate that in order to allow payment for a wheelchair, a person with Medicare must be bed or chair-confined without the use of a wheelchair. 
    • Furthermore in terms of POV all of the following criteria must be met: 
    • You require a wheelchair to maneuver in your home; 
    • You cannot operate a manual wheelchair; 
    • You can safely operate the controls of a POV; 
    • You can transfer safely to and from a POV and have adequate trunk stability to safely ride in a POV 
    • You need a prescription from your physician prior to purchasing the POV, and the physician and supplier must complete a Certificate of Medical Necessity (CMN). 

Social Security Administration Medicare Web Site 

If you would like my help with a Medicare issue, please print out my Authorization Form and fax or mail it to my office. If you have any questions, feel free to call my office.