Congressman Michael Turner

Representing the 10th District of Ohio

OH-10 Disaster Recovery FAQs

The following information below can be used to assist anyone who was impacted by the Memorial Day tornado outbreak. Affected individuals are directed to get in touch with my district office in Dayton, by calling 937-225-2843
To access federal assistance, survivors will need to register with FEMA. While other agencies may have requested disaster damage information, only registering with FEMA can begin the assistance process. The deadline to register is August 19, 2019. No exceptions will be made after this deadline.
The following information below can be used to assist anyone who was impacted by the Memorial Day tornado outbreak. Affected individuals are directed to get in touch with my district office in Dayton, by calling 937-225-2843
Business and Home owners who have been affected by tornados and are in the following Counties should immediately register their losses with FEMA via or by calling (800)-621-3362. The deadline for registration is September 3, 2019. 
Auglaize, Darke, Greene, Hocking, Mercer, Miami, Montgomery, Muskingum, Perry, and Pickaway Counties. 
Constituents may call the registration phone number at 1-800-621-3362; those who have a speech disability or hearing loss and use TTY, should call 1-800-462-7585 directly; for those who use 711 or Video Relay Service (VRS), call 1-800-621-3362.
Smartphone users may also find the FEMA app on the app store and the play store. The FEMA app allows smartphone users to contact FEMA, find shelters, and apply for assistance.
The U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) will open two local centers Thursday for people and businesses affected by the recent Memorial Day tornados. Loans may be provided for homeowners, renters, and small businesses. 
A center will be opened in Montgomery County at the Harrison Twp. Community Center, 5945 North Dixie Dr., Dayton. It will be open at 10 a.m. Thursday, June 20 and operate on weekdays from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., closed on Saturdays and Sundays. 
If you are having issues with vital settlements from insurers:
• If the insurance settlement does not fully compensate a survivor’s losses, that party should apply to FEMA for a grant for home repairs.
• Even when insured, if there are long delays in getting the insurance payments and if there are immediate needs, an applicant to FEMA can request quick funds that can later be returned from later funding from the insurer.
o When FEMA makes a home repair grant to a homeowner, we give that applicant the option to receive the check by mail, or to receive a much quicker electronic transfer of funds directly into their bank account.
Key Facts About Federal Disaster Assistance 
1. FEMA assistance is provided as grant funding that does not have to be repaid. 
2. Homeowners and renters can be eligible for FEMA’s IA program. 
3. FEMA assistance is nontaxable and will not affect eligibility for Social Security, Medicaid or other federal or state benefits. 
4. You won’t be taking assistance away from someone else by applying. There are enough disaster funds to take care of every eligible applicant. 
5. Income level does not affect possible FEMA assistance. 
6. If your insurance settlement is delayed by 30 days or more, and you need immediate funds to relocate, FEMA may be able to help. Contact the FEMA Helpline at 800-621-3362 (TTY 800-462-7585) for a listing of the required documentation to request this assistance. NOTE: any funds you may get from FEMA will be an advance and must be repaid when you get your settlement. 
7. If your primary vehicle had uninsured damage caused by the disaster, you may be eligible for funding to help repair or replace it. Certain requirements apply, but you must register with FEMA first to determine eligibility. 
8. If you are referred to the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) for a low-interest loan, fill out and submit the application. Survivors offered an SBA low-interest loan are under no obligation to accept it, but by not applying you remove yourself from consideration for additional FEMA assistance. 
9. Applicants may be eligible for an SBA loan amount increase up to 20 percent of their physical damages to fund certain mitigation activities. Eligible mitigation improvements may include a safe room or storm shelter to help protect property and occupants from future damage caused by a similar disaster. To learn more, visit or call 800-659-2955 (TTY 800-877-8339). 
10. If you applied for assistance through a voluntary organization or other federal or state agency, you are not registered with FEMA. To apply with FEMA you must go online to or call 800-621-3362 (TTY 800-462-7585). 
FEMA Individuals & Households Program 
• Individuals and Households Program (IHP) provides financial and/or direct assistance to eligible applicants who, have necessary expenses and serious needs that are unmet through insurance or other means after a disaster. Assistance can include: 
o Temporary housing - rental payments for a place to live for a limited period; 
o Lodging expenses - reimbursement of hotel expenses for homeowners or renters for short periods of time due to inaccessibility or utility outage if not covered by insurance or any other program; and/or, 
o Repair costs - financial assistance may be available to homeowners to repair disaster-caused damage to their primary residence that is not covered by insurance. FEMA assistance is not meant to return a home to its previous state. It is designed to bring homes to a safe and sanitary living space or functional condition. 
o Medical, dental and funeral expenses caused by the disaster; 
o Personal property losses; 
o Child care costs; and/or 
o Repair costs for an essential vehicle damage by the disaster. 
To appeal a FEMA decision:
o Send a letter to FEMA or visit a nearby Disaster Recovery Center and provide any additional documentation to request reconsideration. This must be done within 60 days of the date of your ineligibility letter. 
o Mail to: FEMA’s Individuals and Households Program, National Processing Service Center, P.O. Box 10055, Hyattsville MD 20782-7055. Or fax the documents to: 800-827-8112. 
Ohio Realtors Housing Disaster Relief Fund
Residents whose homes or apartments were damaged by the Memorial Day Storm may receive $1,000 in the form of a non-repayable grant from the National Association of Realtors. Residents of Greene, Mercer, and Montgomery Counties may be eligible for this grant. The grant may be found at Relief is given on a first come, first serve basis through August 16.
I cannot get ahold of my insurance company, who do I call?
Allstate – 1-877-810-2920
Progressive – 1-800-776-4737
State Farm – 1-800-782-8332
Geico – 1-800-207-7847
Liberty Mutual – 1-888-398-8924
Nationwide – 1-877-669-6877
USAA – 1-800-531-8722
Farmers – 1-888-327-6335
• Consumers with questions about their policies, filing a claim, or trying to better understand coverage can contact the Ohio Department of Insurance at 800-686-1526 or visit, which includes a severe weather recovery toolkit. To report scams or potentially fraudulent activity, consumers should call the department’s fraud and enforcement hotline at 800-686-1527.
Legal Assistance and Fair Housing Resource
• Legal Aid of Western Ohio, (937) 228-8088, 1-(888)-534-1432,
• Miami Valley Fair Housing Center, (937) 223-6035,
Homeowner Assistance – Home Repair Programs
• CountyCorp: (937) 225-6328
• Rebuilding Together Dayton: (937) 223-4893
• People Working Cooperatively: (513) 351-7921
• Free property deeds will be given to homeowners who have been directly and substantially impacted by the Memorial Day Tornados. A property deed is the best way to show ownership of your home. Proof of ownership is required for many financial resources and assistance with repairs. Property deeds can be obtained in person from 8:00AM-4:00PM at the Montgomery County Recorder’s Office, which is located on the 5th Floor of the County Administration Building at 451 W. Third Street Dayton, Ohio 45422, by contacting the Copy Center at 937-225-6381 or by visiting
• Property Tax Relief: In Montgomery County, properties damaged or destroyed in the Memorial Day tornadoes may be eligible for a deduction in taxable property value. Call the Montgomery County Auditor’s Office at 937-225-4326 or visit to complete and submit a form.
• Montgomery county is waiving fees for gas and electric inspections for properties damaged by the tornados until July 31 for properties damaged by the Memorial Day Tornados. 
• Any questions concerning permits for safe utility reconnection should be directed to the Montgomery County Building regulations department at (937)-225-4622. 
Call 911 with any emergencies. Grief counseling is available through the Disaster Distress Hotline at 1-800-985-5990. Mental health counselors are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Optum Public Crisis Line: Toll free emotional support line at (866) 342-6892 is free of charge and available to anyone. Caring professionals will connect people to resources. It will be open 24-hours a day, seven days a week.
SAMHSA Disaster Distress Helpline: 800-985-5990
Nationwide hotline for individuals experiencing emotional distress for any disaster. Or text ‘TalkWithUs’ to 66746
If a natural disaster destroyed your housing and you need assistance with moving expenses, rental deposit, rent, utility payments or car repairs contact these numbers for assistance & resources:
Miami Valley Community Action Partnership:(937) 341-5000. St. Vincent de Paul Conferences: (937) 222-5555 Other: VRBO may also offer reduced rates for shelter in time of
In Montgomery County: If you would like to report uninsured damage to your home or business, call (937) 225-6217. Please provide your name, address, and whether you have home/business insurance or uninsured losses, we will provide that information to FEMA and our assessment teams. NOTE: You will not be contacted directly by FEMA or the Montgomery County Emergency Operations team after reporting your damage. 
If you have debris from the storm on your property:
You may leave it at your curb until July 28th. After this date debris will have to be dropped off at the Greene County Environmental Services Yard Waste Center located at 2145 Greene Way Blvd, in Xenia for No Charge.  The phone number for hours of operation is (937) 562-5925.
If the tornadoes destroyed your rental housing to the point that it is deemed uninhabitable:
• You should contact your landlord or property management company to ask if there are comparable units available that you can move into. Units should be comparable in pricing, bedroom size, amenities, and location.
• You can immediately vacate the premises and notify the landlord in writing your intention to terminate the rental agreement, in which case the rental agreement terminates as of the date of vacating.
• You are entitled to a refund of your security deposit if you have been forced out of your housing unit long term due to a natural disaster situation that’s out of your control.
• Greater Dayton Premier Management in conjunction with the Department of Housing and Urban Development are giving special preference for housing displaced tornado victims. There are approximately 150 units available and while HUD is waiving the ID requirement for applicants, they do have to provide proof of displacement.
Free meals:
• Gospel Mission – 64 Burns Avenue is serving lunch Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday at 11:30AM and on Sunday at 2PM. Dinner will be served on Tuesday and Thursday at 5PM
• House of Bread – 9 Orth Avenue in Dayton will be serving lunch daily from 11AM -1PM
• Foodbank is open Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday from 9am to 2 pm. 
• Foodbank Drive through pantry is open Friday from 1pm to 3pm.
• Call the Foodbank hotline to find a food pantry near you at (937)-238-5132.
Who do I call if my pet is missing?
Trotwood/Harrison Twp:
• Call the Humane Society at 937-268-7387, the Montgomery County Resource Center at 937-898-4457, or SICSA at 937-294-6505.
Beavercreek Area:
• Call the Greene County Humane Society at 937-376-3001, Greene County Animal Control at 937-562-7400, or SICSA at 937-294-6505.
• A Montgomery County Volunteer Reception Center is now open at Sinclair Community College Building 20. Volunteers register and will be matched to organizations with specific volunteer needs. Location: Sinclair Community College, Bldg 20, 220 South Edwin C Moses, Dayton (enter off 5th St) Hours of Operation: 7 days a week, 8 AM- 6 PM Phone number: 937-512-5700. Please bring a picture ID. All types of assistance are needed. Licensed professionals in skilled trades, medical, veterinary fields as well as individuals and companies that own and operate equipment (everything from chainsaws to heavy equipment) are very much needed and encouraged to volunteer their time.
Monetary Donations can be made directly to The Foodbank via a secure connection at relief. Sinclair Community College has undertaken the task of organizing volunteer efforts – if you wish to volunteer please call 1-937-512-5700.
• The Dayton Foodbank is accepting volunteers 9 am to 4 pm Monday through Friday. They may be found at 56 Armor Pl, Dayton, OH 45417.
Assistance from the Federal Government 
As of June 19, 2019, individuals impacted by the Memorial Day Tornado outbreak can apply for individual assistance through FEMA. The deadline to submit your claim is August 19, 2019. 
How Do I File a Claim? 
- Claims can be submitted by visiting
- Claims can be submitted by downloading the FEMA app. 
- Claims can be submitted by calling FEMA at 1-800-621-3362 or 1-800-4627585 
Note: Individuals are encouraged to visit for the quickest way to file a claim. 
A Disaster Recovery Center will open Wednesday, June 26 in Beavercreek to help renters, homeowners and businesses in Ohio affected by the tornadoes, storms and flooding of May 27 – 29, 2019.
Location:   Shaw Elementary School
                    3560 Kemp Rd.
                    Beavercreek, OH 45431
Hours:      Monday through Saturday, 8:30 a.m. to 7 p.m. and closed on Sundays. 
A Disaster Recovery Center will open Monday, June 24 in Dayton to help renters, homeowners and businesses in Ohio affected by the tornadoes, storms and flooding of May 27 – 29, 2019.
Location:   Dayton Children’s Hospital
                    Child Health Pavilion
                    1010 Valley St.
                    Dayton, OH 45404
Hours:      Monday through Sunday, 10:00 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Friday, Saturday from 10a.m. to 5p.m. and closed on Sundays. 
At the Disaster Recovery Center, representatives from FEMA, U.S. Small Business Administration, Ohio Emergency Management Agency and other Ohio agencies are available to explain disaster assistance programs, answer questions about written correspondence and provide literature about repairs and rebuilding to make homes more disaster resistant.
Other Important Emergency Numbers and Relevant Information  
Small Business Administration (SBA) Disaster Assistance Center: 
Ohio Division of Emergency Management:  
(614) 889-7150; online at 
American Red Cross: 
• Disaster and Emergency Assistance: 
• Find a shelter: 
• Red Cross Buckeye Region: West Central Ohio Office (419) 227-5121
Connect with Evacuees:
OHDot: For road closures information, please visit 
USDA Farm Service Agency Disaster Assistance Programs:  
USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service: